Editing the MX record to use a different mail server
By default, all of the email for your domain is handled by NetNation's mail server. You can, however, choose to have another mail server handle your email. You can select a mail server such as Register.com or you can specify an Exchange, Novell or other in-house mail server. If your organization has multiple mail servers (such as a primary and secondary server) you can specify multiple IP addresses and set the priority for each.
To edit the MX Record:
- In AccountManager, click Domain Name to display the Domain Name Management page.
- Click Edit DNS/MX Record. The DNS/MX Record Modification page displays information about your current domain.
- Carefully review the information on this page, including the schedule of costs, and then scroll to the bottom of the page. Select one of the following options:
- - Custom. Enables you to specify the IP addresses for your in-house mail servers.
- - Everyone.net
- - Register.com
- - Bigmailbox.com
- Click Continue.
- - If you selected Custom, proceed to step 5.
- - If you selected any of the other options, carefully review the summary of changes, including any additional charges that will be incurred. Then, click Submit. You are finished editing the MX Record.
- If you selected Custom, the DNS Record Actions page appears. Locate the Customization of MX Records section.
- For each mail server you want to use, enter the IP address and priority.
- If desired, enter any comments or special instructions.
- Click Submit DNS Change Request.